[Ltib] Re: nb31xx platform patch for review

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: [Ltib] Re: nb31xx platform patch for review
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 23:42:00 +0000

Hi Miguel,

Thank you for the patch and my apologies for the delay getting back to you.

1/ The deploysd.sh script

I can see what you're doing here, but I'm reluctant to include this because:

* Running sudo cp is a too much of a security compromise

* Also if we were to support this it would be better to do this by
having rootfs.tmp created directly on the SD card and then not deleting
this staging area.  However the issue is that unless you run this as
root, the owners would be incorrect and there would not be any device
nodes (even udev needs a few static nodes.

In the mean time, if it works for you, then that's fine, but I'd be
cautious about distributing this to others (due to the sudo cp security
thing).

2/ All the binary config/platform/nb31xx/merge/lib/firmware/* files need
to be removed.  The reasons are architectural and legal.

>From the architectural point of view, LTIB tries very hard to have no
content as part of the tool (just references).  This keeps the
distribution out of LTIB. The exception is limited use of merge
directories to override things like /etc/hostname, /etc/fstab etc, which
at least are plain text and so just about okay.  Putting binary content
would be plain incorrect as it then means LTIB includes package content
that exists external to LTIB.

>From a legal point of view, you need to be careful.  I see one of the
binaries has a zd1211/License saying it's GPL/MPL so maybe that one is
okay, but if it is, then a GPL source package is better.  For the others
you need to be absolutely sure you have a legal license to freely
distribute these binaries.  So I would recommend this:

* Remove from your patch

* Create package for these (binary if needs be)

* Make certain that anything you intend to distribute from your PPP is
legally freely distributable by you

* If you can be sure that one or more of these binaries are freely
distributable under some recognisable license they could be put onto the
GPP (if you prefer).  However anything with a restrictive license cannot
go onto the GPP.

3/ If you can use the standard busybox.config then please do and just
remove it from the patch

4/ I can't merge in your %ppp_url, you'd need to add that adaptation in
at the time you make your BSP release.  However I do think there are
hooks in the release script (IIRC) that help you do this.

Regards, Stuart