Re: [Ltib] Using LTIB without root privileges

From: Mike Goins
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Using LTIB without root privileges
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 10:39:25 -0400

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Christoph Baumann <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is it possible to run LTIB without root privileges?
> I see the point that at least the tool chain needs to be installed as root.
> But compiling for the target and building an image could theoretically be
> done without root privileges, isn't it?
> Trying out LTIB I noticed that I need these right nevertheless to install
> RPMs for the target into the target FS.
> Is there any feasible way to do this without sudo (e.g. fakeroot, chroot)?

Interesting concept, so I though I would try it out.  Here's what I did:

1.  Tool-chains and host support packages already installed.
2.  Built and installed fakeroot-ng, http://sourceforge.net/projects/fakerootng/
3.  commented out my /etc/sudoers entry that ltib requires.
4.  Modified ltib to use fakeroot-ng: replaced  sudo  => "sudo" with
sudo => "fakeroot-ng"
5.  If run already once as root the rpm database is owned by root,
chown as required.
6.  Ran ltib for one of my platform configs with --no-sudo to skip check.

Building now without seeing any issues.   Not done yet as it this
platform takes about an hour to complete, but I have some new rpms and
a rootfs under my id.  Nice.

So, I decided to go re-visit #1 to see if I can install the ltib host
rpm's and tools as a user.   Cleaned all traces of ltib from system.
chown'd /opt as myself.  Get through rpm-fs, fake-provides, but fails
on mkspooflinks:

Build time for mkspooflinks: 3 seconds

fakeroot-ng /opt/ltib/usr/bin/rpm --root / --dbpath
/opt/ltib/var/lib/rpm -e --allmatches --nodeps --noscripts --define
'_tmppath /home/mike/tmp' mkspooflinks 2>/dev/null
fakeroot-ng /opt/ltib/usr/bin/rpm --root / --dbpath
/opt/ltib/var/lib/rpm --prefix / --ignorearch -ivh --replacepkgs
--replacefiles --nodeps --excludedocs --noscripts --define '_tmppath
/home/mike/tmp'
/opt/ltib/usr/src/rpm/RPMS/i686/mkspooflinks-3.4-4.i686.rpm
mkspooflinks                error: unpacking of archive failed on file
//opt: cpio: chmod failed - Operation not permitted

Not sure of the error, but would be interesting to get full ltib under
user id's since this may help in the long-run.