Re: [Ltib] Using LTIB without root privileges

From: Christoph Baumann
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Using LTIB without root privileges
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 09:31:40 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Stuart,

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
[...]
> I realise that, but I'd suggest that you don't install on any machine
> that is mission critical or sensitive.

I for myself don't fear any intruder. But the security auditing guys see the
scenario that someone could compromise the development machine to inject
malicious code into the resulting firmware.

> If you think about it, if your IT policy allows you to run sudo, then
> what LTIB is doing is fine, all it is doing is removing the need to
> enter your user password. If your IT policy does not allow you to run
> sudo (for any command), then you should not be installing LTIB (as it
> needs sudo for rpm installs). BTW LTIB cannot accidentally install
> rpms
> into your system area, that's what the weird %pfx stuff in the .spec
> files is for.

I hope I can get an exception from that policy. Because I need to develop for
the Freescale i.MX28 for which Freescale provides a preconfigured LTIB as BSP.
And I'm not very keen on dissecting this BSP in order to get the MX28
specialities into some other build tool.

> I've been over this many times with many people. The issue is one of
> balancing ultimate security vs usability, there is no right or wrong
> answer. Given that LTIB wants to create an NFS mountable filesystem
> image, at some point it needs to be root to create the files with the
> correct user/permissions.

Sorry, didn't want to bother you. I can understand your point. But as mentioned
above I need good reasons to demand to be able to "sudo".

Regards,
Christoph