Re: [Ltib] imx53 QSB on Ubuntu 12.04

From: Bair, Richard
Subject: Re: [Ltib] imx53 QSB on Ubuntu 12.04
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 17:59:02 -0700

1) Thanks for the input.  Right now I'm merely in learning mode but understand
your inputs regarding engaging freescale.

2) I'm close using this recipe but not quite there yet.  From your steps:
a) Complete
b) I haven't seen an error regarding spec files so no action (yet)
c) Complete...I copied all pkgs from BSP into /opt/tlib/pkgs

After performing these steps, I've been trying to use:  Platform="Frescale iMX
Reference Boards", Development="imx5x", Package Profile="preconfig (Min
profile)", Board="mx53_loco" and kernel="2.6.35_imx" for a build and u-boot
builds but the kernel build stops with the text below.  I'm researching the
error message presently but no path forward just yet.

------------8<-------------------------
# configuration written to .config
#
+ [ -f arch/arm/configs/imx5_defconfig ]
+ diff -q ./.config arch/arm/configs/imx5_defconfig
Files ./.config and arch/arm/configs/imx5_defconfig differ
+ cp -f ./.config /home/rich/imx53/ltib/config/platform/imx/imx5_defconfig.dev
+ [ -n  ]
+ [ %{kernel_series} = 2.4 ]
+ make ARCH=arm HOSTCC=ccache /usr/bin/gcc -B/usr/bin// uImage
scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/arm/Kconfig
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  UPD     include/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  UPD     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/kallsyms
  HOSTCC  scripts/pnmtologo
  HOSTCC  scripts/conmakehash
  HOSTCC  scripts/genksyms/genksyms.o
  SHIPPED scripts/genksyms/lex.c
  HOSTCC  scripts/bin2c
  SHIPPED scripts/genksyms/parse.h
  CC      scripts/mod/empty.o
  SHIPPED scripts/genksyms/keywords.c
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig
  SHIPPED scripts/genksyms/parse.c
  HOSTCC  scripts/genksyms/lex.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/genksyms/parse.o
Assembler messages:
Error: unknown architecture `armv7-a'

Error: unrecognized option -march=armv7-a
make[2]: *** [scripts/mod/empty.o] Error 1
  HOSTLD  scripts/genksyms/genksyms
make[1]: *** [scripts/mod] Error 2
make: *** [scripts] Error 2
error: Bad exit status from /home/rich/imx53/ltib/tmp/rpm-tmp.3229 (%build)

RPM build errors:
    Bad exit status from /home/rich/imx53/ltib/tmp/rpm-tmp.3229 (%build)
Build time for kernel-2.6.35: 5 seconds

Failed building kernel-2.6.35

=================
Hi Richard,

Referring to this and your earlier question.  Here's some advice.

Before you start any of this you have to figure out whether or not anything you
want to use is legally restricted by Freescale.  I assume you have  copy of
their BSP.  If so then you have all the parts you need to achieve this in your
local environment.  If you wanted to get this into the public CVS, you'd have
to check with Freescale.  Ideally you'd get them to push the platform out (at
least the GPP content).  Alternatively if someone authoritative there says it's
okay to publicly distribute all components of that BSP, and you can get that
CC'd to the list, then it would be possible to include this on the public
project (not withstanding time available to do it).

Note: they can't place restrictions on any GPL (etc) code they have released to
you in the ISO image (for example u-boot/kernel patches).  What they can
restrict though is any of their original content that is not covered by a
license that allows you free public re-distribution.  Sorry I can't be more
definitive, but I'm not a lawyer and it really does depend what's in there (I
don't know).  Aside from the legal side of it, out of courtesy it's best to
email them and try to get them to help you.  I doubt they're really trying to
restrict things, I suspect it's more a question of it not being on their radar
to get stuff pushed out.

To integrate the new platform you need to:

 *   Add the config/platform/_imx53_ platform to a current CVS copy of the LTIB
sources

 *   Add any new global spec files into the appropriate dist/lfs-5.1/xxx/ area.
 You can tell which ones may be missing when you try to build the BSP, it will
complain that it can't find the spec file if it's missing

 *   Add any missing BSP content to /opt/freescale/pkgs.  To figure out what
GPP/PPP content you're missing run the command: ./ltib --dltest  it will tell
you what is not on the GPP.  You can then copy the missing files from your BSP
ISO image (pkgs directory) to /opt/freescale/pkgs (or /opt/ltib/pkgs, they're
both in the search path).

Regards, Stuart