lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] lwIP 1.3.2?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] lwIP 1.3.2?
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:34:54 +0100

Alain Mouette wrote:
We really need a very goot version that every body will come to relly upon. I have been follwing the many bugfix threads and I am impressed by the depth of the bugs being fixed.
Thanks to three or four really skillful users that supplied us with detailed bug reports!
This kind of stuff is essencial and will live forever...

 > Although I favoured a), I'm now tempted to vote for b), since it could
 > really be a while until 1.4.0 will be released, and it looks like that
 > one will have rather many new features, which makes it potentially
 > unstable again. Therefore, a "superstable" release before 1.4.0 (be it
 > 1.3.2 or 1.3.3) would be a good idea.

It's really indifferent for me if it is called 1.3.2 or 1.3.3, that is the only one that matters. I got the feeleing that 1.3.1 is "risky" so I haven't moved (call me chicken...)
1.3.1 really isn't more risky than 1.3.0: there have been a lot of bugs fixed from 1.3.0 to 1.3.1. The problem is that we also added new code, which has turned out to contain some bugs, too. One could argue if these bugs are more severe than the ones fixed in 1.3.1...

As to the names (1.3.2, 1.3.3, ...) the problem is that once 1.3.2 is out, there's not feature freeze on CVS HEAD and I'll start implementing new features as I need them. This means that the code is might get more unstable again (like always when adding new code). However, with such a small project as lwIP, we can't afford to maintain branches (i.e. merge bug fixes found in 1.4.0 back to 1.3.2 and thus releasing 1.3.3)!

Anyway, the bugs that are open now and not targeted for 1.3.2 aren't really severe, i.e. I wouldn't be scared to ship my own products with 1.3.2. I think 1.3.2 will be the best lwIP ever ;-)

Simon