lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #10446] DHCP extensions for AutoIP

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #10446] DHCP extensions for AutoIP
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:24:14 +0000

You and I are going down the same path.  We need named devices and the intent
is if the named device is has an AutoIP address, we will change the IP address
to make it "reachable".  If the system is set up with "Fallback to static", we
don't touch it.  We are simply using the name to return to the PC application
the IP address of the device.  Although ZeroConf would be nice, it's a big
project and there is a device in our system that does not support it.  We can
give it a name that we can query.

With AutoIP optionally falling back to static, I can start lwIP in one of my
3 modes (from Msg #1) and go away and let lwIP come up.

One place I needed to do work is loss and recovery of the link.  It would be
nice if lwIP would handle this.  With a static address, it should do a
dhcp_inform.  With DHCP (AutoIP or not) dhcp_network_changed needs to be
called to restart dhcp.  The DHCP code is not aware that the netif has a
static IP address and I think it would be good if it knew this.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?10446>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/