lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] 1.5.x and API?

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] 1.5.x and API?
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 19:14:33 +0100

On 12 Jun 2011, at 14:29, Leon Woestenberg wrote:

> You don't have to choose then, both developments can continue.

Yes, it's an approach I'm very familiar with.  It's not really a matter of
choosing between the two, but deciding to only create the stable development
branch if we ever have the need.  i.e. if we discovered significant bugs that
needed fixing after a stable release was made then those bugs would need to be
back ported and the branch created.  So far two factors have prevented this:
(i) we haven't yet had that situation where the stable release had a critical
bug that required fixing; and (ii) we don't have the manpower to maintain two
releases.  I've therefore decided to only make branches as necessary.

The side effect of this is that some changes to lwIP that would break the API
have been delayed while we have made a non-API-changing release (such as 1.3.1
and 1.3.2) but with so few developers I don't think this has caused problems.

If people are experiencing problems with this release, and would prefer to have
bug fixes back-ported, the please let me know.  I'd be happy to do it that way,
but I think the approach we have now is more pragmatic  given the resources
available.

Kieran