lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Converting to git

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Converting to git
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:51:11 +0200

Kieran Mansley wrote:
Perhaps this could be better documented to make it easier for someone
new to lwIP to discover these examples.
When starting with lwIP, I was in the lucky position to use Altera's ready-to-use port of lwIP and adapt this to other platforms. However, I do admit that

- core lwIP could well need a better explanation of the 2 repos and
- contrib could need a readme, too, also
- the unix port could need a summary ("top-level") explanation what the different projects are about

From a developer's point of view, I think it's fine to separate the 2 repos, however, as an end-user I've also been annoyed more than once when having to download more than one file...

I don't have a clear point to any direction, but I think combining the 2 repos could certainly make it easier for newbies to start with lwIP (if only a bit).

However, we (as developers) would need to raise quality/maintenance requirements for "contrib" code even more when moved to the main repo. In terms of man-power, this might be an argument not to merge the 2 repos.

Simon