lwip-users

Re: RE : [lwip-users] Device name

From: Nicolas Pinault
Subject: Re: RE : [lwip-users] Device name
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:13:47 +0200

Hello

Just as a remark: you actually don't need to implement the *whole* NetBIOS stack, the only thing you want to do is to reply to naming messages that contain the name of your device.

We've already implemented that solution in our system, and it's working as a marvel:

- The source code (in C++ since we use Thread classes) is 380 lines long (including comments describing packets) - In Windows, when you use any program that calls gethostbyaddr (ping, IE, Firefox, Telnet, LabVIEW, ...) Windows will automagically send out a broadcast for that NetBIOS name and find your device, even if there's no DNS or DHCP server (note that distinguishing between DNS names and NetBIOS names is trivial: a NetBIOS name cannot contain a dot, a DNS name has to contain a dot). - In Linux/OS X, a manual call to "nblookup" is required (that'll return the IP address for that name). We've actually done a Java class that does that resolution automatically (if it contains a dot ask DNS, otherwise call nblookup).

Cheers

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com

Thanks for your advices.