lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Implementing a Berkeley sockets compatibility layer

From: Mason
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Implementing a Berkeley sockets compatibility layer
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 13:49:43 +0100

Fernando C.V. wrote:

> I'm intending to port the libupnp library for its use on an ARM STM32
> processor. This library seems to rely on Berkeley sockets and under
> FreeRTOS as it asks for "netinet/in.h", "sys/socket.h", etc. header
> files, so I was thinking about creating replacements for these files
> to work as intermediate layer so I can use libupnp with lwIP on top of
> FreeeRTOS. Would I be doing it right, or could there be a saner way to
> get it working? any tip on where to find further help?

lwip supports the BSD sockets API.

cf. http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lwip.git/tree/doc/rawapi.txt

lwIP provides 3 APIs to use for communication with the TCP/IP code:
* low-level "core" / "callback" or "raw" API.
* higher-level "sequential" API.
* BSD-style socket API.

The socket API is a compatibility API for existing applications,
currently it is built on top of the sequential API. It is meant to
provide all functions needed to run socket API applications running
on other platforms (e.g. unix / windows etc.). However, due to limitations
in the specification of this API, there might be incompatibilities
that require small modifications of existing programs.

--
Regards.