lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] ppp-new IP forwarding only works one direction (Etherne

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] ppp-new IP forwarding only works one direction (Ethernet to PPP)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 19:45:25 +0200

Hi Sylvain,

Sylvain Rochet wrote:
> I put the PPP header into the allocated space for PBUF_LINK if there is
> enough space to do so, for a 14 byte PBUF_LINK_HEADER this is 12 bytes
> of RAM wasted for NO_SYS=1, and 8 bytes for NO_SYS=0 with 32 bits
> pointers, for me this is an acceptable outcome.

Yes, you're right. The patch also looks good. Although I can't really test it
myself...

What about other sources of pbuf allocation? I think there are now more than in
the 'old' ppp code. Are there more allocations we need to take care of (e.g. VJ
decompression)?

BTW: what do you think about making ppp_new the default for 1.5.0? Can it
handle IPv6 correctly or are there additions needed? I think it might be bigger
than the old code, but also more buggy. And it's kind of meaningless keeping
the old code when everyone starting with a PPP device takes the ppp_new
branch... Having upgrading instructions for applications using the 'old' pop
code would be nice, of course.

Simon