lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV scrollok and lynx_force_repaint

From: John E. Davis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV scrollok and lynx_force_repaint
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 17:54:45 -0500

On Thu, 06 Nov 1997 16:25:18 -0500 (EST), Foteos Macrides <address@hidden> said:
>       I tried also replacing the appropriate clear() calls in
>LYMainLoop.c and LYOptions.c with erase() and setting clearok() for
>Unix curses as for VMS curses and slang only on overt REFRESH (^L)
>commands.  That works fine (at least on solaris2 and osf where I
>can test it) and the behavior on retractions of popups is now as
>nice for Unix curses as for VMS curses and slang.  However, there
>is that "ugly" behavior with slang when you do want to make sure
>anything on the screen which slang didn't put there intentially
>is gotten rid of as well on refreshes.  My LY_SLrefresh() does a
>SLsmg_touch_lines(0, LYlines) before the SLsmg_refresh() in such
>cases, and the touch is really slow and hurkey ("ugly"), but I
>don't see a better, but equally reliable, way to do that with
>slang library functions.  Is there?

   I do not see any alternative.  When you call SLsmg_touch_lines, it
is a signal to the library that there is garbage on that line and it
should be re-drawn.  Since it is impossible for the library to know
where the garbage is, the individual line is cleared and then
repainted.  I still do not understand how something got on the screen
that slang did not put there.  Of course, if the lynx code contains
lines such as

    fprintf (stdout, "This text by passes the display library\n");

then it is broken and need to be fixed.

>       But one other remaining problem is that when building with
>slang on osf you get gobs of "redefinition of macro va_start"
>warnings.  They can be ignored because Lynx doesn't use va_start(),
>but many OSFers are displayed VMSers, and feel uncomfortable about
>using an image that had lots of warnings when it was being built.
>Is there any way to deal with that, short of editing system headers?

   I assume that va_start is defined when stdarg.h is included in
slang.h.  However, that should only define it once which means that
stdarg.h file is being included from somewhere else and it is not
protected against multiple includes.  There may be nothing that can be
done about if short of editing the system headers if the if the system
headers are at fault.

--John
;
;