lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Newbie question - Automating Lynx

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Newbie question - Automating Lynx
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 10:49:32 +0100 (BST)

> I've been trying to automate my access to our comapnies share price via the
>  Smith Barney

I would consider this application to disqualify you as a newbie; it is a
power user operation.

>                                  Server Error
>
>    This server has encountered an internal error which prevents it from

The service provider has a broken system, it should have returned a
4xx type client protocol error, not an internal error status.

> <-------- snip  QADI.txt   ---------->
> +
> QADI
> ---

This is completely wrong.  The input for POST data should be the exact
data (URL encoded string) to be sent.  I'm not sure about whether the final
newline gets stripped properly.

In other words it should be:

search_type=1&search_string=QADI&submit.x=0&submit.y=0
---

possibly with the --- on the end of the first line.

This assumes that you want the default search type.  The funny use of
submit.x is due to their being no properly supported image buttons in
current browsers (they exist in HTML 4 and work with Lynx, but are
partially broken in IE4 and unsupported in NS4) - they have used an
image mapped input area instead, but presumably ignored the coordinates.

You should be able to see this string if you use = after a manual
submission.

I agree that the vikeys parameter is completely bogus for this use.