lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx and webmail interfaces?

From: Morten Bo Johansen
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx and webmail interfaces?
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 16:05:07 +0100

On 2023-11-23 Stef Caunter wrote:

> could you please? it hasn't worked for me for most of this century...

In Mutt it is very simple. We use IMAP. All you need is these
four lines in your ~/.muttrc

   set imap_user=USER@hotmail.com
   set imap_pass=PASSWORD
   set folder=imaps://outlook.office365.com
   set spoolfile="+INBOX"

Additionally you can insert this line also

   macro index <left> "<change-folder>?"

then you can use the left arrow to show the list of folders on
the server, Junk, Deleted, Sent, etc. to access them.

Mutt must be built with some authentication libraries and with
IMAP support. You may have the compile options shown by running
mutt -v. In particular, I have:

  +USE_IMAP  +USE_SMTP
  +USE_SSL_OPENSSL  -USE_SSL_GNUTLS  +USE_SASL  -USE_GSASL

I have not used Pine for 25 years, but I think something
similar must be achievable with Pine?

With S-nail, which is actually the name of the package to
install, the name of the program itself is "mail", it is also
fairly simple. Configuration is done in ~/.mailrc. I have this
in mine:

          ------------ .mailrc begin ----------------

   # This example assumes v15.0 compatibility mode
   set v15-compat

   set mta="/usr/bin/msmtp"

   # Request strict TLL transport layer security checks
   set tls-verify=strict

   # Where are the up-to-date TLS certificates?
   # (Since we manage up-to-date ones explicitly, do not use any,
   # possibly outdated, default certificates shipped with OpenSSL)
   set tls-ca-file=/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

   # Essential setting: select allowed character sets
   set sendcharsets=utf-8,iso-8859-1

   # A very kind option: when replying to a message, first try to
   # use the same encoding that the original poster used herself!
   set reply-in-same-charset

   # When replying, do not merge From: and To: of the original message
   # into To:.  Instead old From: -> new To:, old To: -> merge Cc:.
   set recipients-in-cc

   # When sending messages, wait until the Mail-Transfer-Agent finishs.
   # Only like this you will be able to see errors reported through the
   # exit status of the MTA (including the built-in SMTP one)!
   set sendwait

   # Only use built-in MIME types, no mime.types(5) files
   set mimetypes-load-control

   # Default directory where we act in (relative to $HOME)
   set folder=.mail
   # A leading "+" (often) means: under *folder*
   # *record* is used to save copies of sent messages
   set record=+sent record-files record-resent

   set inbox="imaps://USER%40hotmail.com:PASSWORD@outlook.office365.com/INBOX"
   wysh set prompt='mail> '

   account hotmail {
      set from="Morten Bo Johansen <USER@hotmail.com>"
      set imap-keepalive=240
   }

   # Make this the default account
   account hotmail

          ------------ .mailrc end ----------------

Change USER to that of your own.

Note the url encoding "%40" for the "@" in the inbox variable
above. It must be used.

chmod 0600 .mailrc .muttrc

Also note the

   set mta="/usr/bin/msmtp"

S-nail/mail's built in smtp function doesn't work with Hotmail
without some inordinate amount of configuration trouble
including a third-party python script. msmtp works with no
problems. That you must set up yourself ;-)

I hope this helps and the off-topic nature of it doesn't rile
too many.

Regards,
Morten