lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] 2-9-0: -assume_charset= does not override in-document cha

From: Henry
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] 2-9-0: -assume_charset= does not override in-document charset=
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 22:23:20 +0900

Isn't ASSUME_CHARSET for documents which do not declare their charset,
i.e., the Lynx user is _assuming_ that the document author wrote in
the ASSUME_CHARSET?

If a web page declares its charset incorrectly, that seems to be the
responsibility of the author.  I don't think it is Lynx's job to
"override" what the author [mis]intended.  In such a case, I would
either contact the author, or, if too much bother, just download the
document and edit the charset declaration.

Or as I often do, download and convert the document to UTF-8 (iconv, nkf).

YES, thank you for Lynx!