mailman

Re: Fw: [Monotone-devel] difficulty renewing my monotone-devel subscript

From: hendrik
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:55:14 -0500

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 05:38:21PM +0100, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:26:49PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
> > P.S. It belatedly occurs to me that the confirmation messages may have
> > been about changing your address (viz.
> > http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/options/monotone-devel/hendrik--at--topoi.pooq.com).
> > Those confirmations time out after three days.  So if your email was
> > down longer than that, they wouldn't work ...
>
> Maybe Mailman sent the "are you still interested" mails as part of its
> bounce processing?

Indeed, they were messages about bounce processing.

> In any case, there's probably not much we can do, except maybe make
> mailman confirmation hashes last longer, but I would probably bring
> more harm than good.

Three days would have been plenty if the three days started when the
messages were sent out.

After failing to get a timely reply form the first message, it kept
sending further messages every week or so.  I received several when my
mail system was running properly again.  But no matter how fast I
replied to them (usually immediately) I could not get them in before the
timeout.

My *guess* is that the repeat messages were still using the original
timeout, instead of starting new timers when they were sent.  But I
don't know.

-- hendrik