make-alpha

Re: Handling of SHELL by GNU make: not POSIX compliant

From: David Boyce
Subject: Re: Handling of SHELL by GNU make: not POSIX compliant
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 13:04:01 -0400

At 12:41 PM 10/7/2002 -0400, David Boyce wrote:
which codifies the hidden assumption that in GNU make SHELL, unlike any other make variable ... will be automatically exported.

Rereading my msg I realize the above is muddy. In fact, any modification of a variable which was inherited from the environment automatically "exports" the new value, so in that way SHELL is not treated specially. The problem is that according to POSIX it should be.

-David Boyce