make-alpha

Re: Handling of SHELL by GNU make: not POSIX compliant

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Handling of SHELL by GNU make: not POSIX compliant
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 09:56:43 -0400

%% David Boyce <address@hidden> writes:

  db> Let me explain what I'm doing as an example of why it matters
  db> (note, this is Unix-specific). In my spare time, currently copious
  db> since I'm unemployed, I'm developing a build-auditing tool. The
  db> idea is you run a build under control of my program and it keeps a
  db> record of all files opened during that build. For anyone familiar
  db> with ClearCase the idea is to get something like its "config
  db> records" but without requiring the special ClearCase
  db> filesystem. Instead of communicating with the filesystem as
  db> ClearCase does, my tool inserts a shim into the shared-library
  db> call sequence using LD_PRELOAD and uses it to intercept and record
  db> uses of open() and related system calls. Consider it analogous to
  db> "truss -o /tmp/truss.out -f -t open,creat", more or less, but more
  db> portable and entirely in user space.

Have you looked at the proof-of-concept for this that Han-Wen Nienhuys
developed?  We talked about it a bit on make-alpha a few years ago and
he whipped up a very early sample--works only on Linux.  There's a link
at the bottom of my "Advanced Auto-Dependencies" web page:

  http://make.paulandlesley.org/autodep.html

Sounds cool! :).