maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Nominatim released

From: David Decotigny
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Nominatim released
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 14:01:50 +0100

Hello,

Emilie Laffray wrote:
I wouldn't trust the osm ids that you are getting for the street. The system uses a voronoi diagram and therefore it may be of worse quality than using administrative boundaries when they exist.

Hmmmm... I'm not sure I understood. Do you mean that the polygon we get is Voronoi ? Or that the osm_id="xxxx" or place_id="yyyy" attributes are purely meaningless ?

If you were mentioning the polygon, it's very interesting to know it's "just" a voronoi, indeed (thanks !). In that case, we'd better simplify the query:
   http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/?q=paris&format=xml (or json)

But, for the place_id/osm_id attributes I mentioned above, I had the impression that osm_id was referring to the (opposite of) osm_id in planet_osm_line. Is this wrong ?

For place_id, I don't have a clear idea on it. I have the impression it's something internal to some gazetteer table(s) but I'm far from sure of this. Is it the Graal^Wid that we should use to identify OSM-wise the items returned by nominatim, instead of osm_id ? If yes, do we need to setup the whole gazetteer infrastructure in order to get back to "normal" osm items ?

Thank you !
Regards,