maposmatic-dev

[Maposmatic-dev] Re: Common index prefixes for French

From: Maxime Petazzoni
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] Re: Common index prefixes for French
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:56:22 +0100

Hi,

I'm replying in English as the development mailing is supposed to be
English-speaking.

* Jean-Guilhem Cailton <address@hidden> [2010-03-18 11:38:06]:

> Avec mon réflexe acquis à propos de la traduction en espagnol, je
> remarque de nombreux préfixes communs sur l'index des rues de Nantes
> :
>
> Allée
> Avenue
> Boulevard
> Chemin
> Cours
> Esplanade (??? - 4 fois)
> Impasse
> Passage
> Quelques "Petit(e)(s) chemin / passage / avenue / rue" (???)
> Place
> Pont
> Promenade
> Quai
> Rond-Point (et RP x 2)
> Route
> Rue
> Ruelle
> Résidence (???)
> Square
> Venelle (x 3)
> Voie (x 2)

We already have all those prefixes registered for French, as you can see
at:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic/ocitysmap.git/tree/ocitysmap/i18n.py#n75

Except maybe "Petit chemin" and "Petit passage" that I'll try to add
shortly.

> Par ailleurs, un É (E avec accent aigu, majuscule) en dernière
> position par ordre alphabétique (comme des "Écoles" bizarrement
> placées)

The accent ordering problem is known. It's because we can't easily order
Unicode strings yet (ordering is language dependent, and a tricky
subject of linguistics). That's not a top-priority for us at the moment,
but we of course welcome any proposition to make the index better :)

Thanks for your input,
- Maxime
--
Maxime Petazzoni <http://www.bulix.org>
 ``One by one, the penguins took away my sanity.''