maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Common index prefixes for French

From: Jean-Guilhem Cailton
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Common index prefixes for French
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:13:19 +0100

Maxime Petazzoni a écrit :
* Jean-Guilhem Cailton <address@hidden> [2010-03-18 13:33:04]:

Is it so difficult to check whether the bounding box would not fall
within administrative limits with well defined linguistic properties
?

(i have no idea what it actually implies).

In Chile, for instance, where many low level administrative
boundaries are not defined yet, one needs to use bounding box. Yet
it could be well known that within Chile, Spanish language would be
the most appropriate. (And in this case, the same is true for
neighbouring countries, so there is not even the need to be
specially careful near the borders :) ).

This is actually very complex, because the areas in the world were some
languages are spoken are not well-defined at all. For example in the
South of France, you may want to use Spanish as the index language for a
town in France, but where all street names are in Spanish.
Do you have a specific town example in mind ? (It must be a pretty special case, no ?)
 Same goes for
all countries that have several official languages, different dialects,
etc.

Sure, perfect guess would be difficult. But wouldn't it be helpful to try some simple guesses, based e.g. on official country language(s) so that it be easily understandable by the user, that might be right in 90 % of the cases, and anyway better than the default in 99 % of the cases. (And I think my estimates might be overly conservative here :) ).

Why is it ok to guess only when local administrative limits are available ?

(Isn't French proposed for your example town above if it has administrative limits ?)

By the way, was the test for Spanish on dev satisfying ?

I think so. I'll deploy the Spanish translation to production this week.

Thanks!
- Maxime

Thanks !

Jean-Guilhem