maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Making it easier to translate

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Making it easier to translate
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 09:28:44 +0200

Hello,

Le Fri, 6 Apr 2012 01:43:58 +0200,
Guttorm Flatabø <address@hidden> a écrit :

> I get the draft :) I've setup translation at
> Transifex<https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/maposmatic/>,

Thanks! How can we (original MapOSMatic developers) have administration
rights on this Transifex project?

> which is pretty easily done with their
> client<http://help.transifex.net/features/client/index.html>("transifex-client"
> in both PYPI and the Fedora repositories). I've only
> set up the ocitysmap
> module<https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/maposmatic/resource/ocitysmap/>for
> now, and some error in the .po or on their server end prevented me
> from adding "it" and "ar", but it should be sufficient to show how it
> works.

What are the problems you had? If it can't import the existing .po,
it's quite annoying.

Also, what would be the bi-directional workflow for the .po files? On
one side, we regularly need to inject into Transifex the new strings to
translate, and on the other side, we regularly need to fetch from
Transifex the latest translation updates. How would this work?

> BTW: I wanted to change a spelling error ("splitted") on
> http://wiki.maposmatic.org/doku.php?id=start, but my user (dittaeva)
> does not have access. Can this be fixed?

I guess our Wiki is read-only, we had too much spam. We can certainly
give write access to some identified contributors.

> BTW2: I thought I had received the translation invitation e-mail
> because I had contributed translations before. However, while finding
> out where bugs are handled I see that my
> submission<https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?35372>hasn't been touched
> (or so it seems at least) since I submitted on the 25th
> of January. Did I submit to the wrong place, are bugs handled
> elsewhere?

I will take care of it.

> BTW3: Theres a "Test gettext" string in the ocitysmap.pot file.
> Surely that is not needed for translation?

It is used in some kind of unit test to test if the _() function is
available. I guess it could be done in a different way.

> Also message on
> ocitysmap2/layoutlib/multi_page_renderer.py:484
> and ocitysmap2/layoutlib/single_page_renderers.py:293 seem to be the
> same, only the latter doesn't have so many line shifts. Unavoidable?

Yes, as David said, they are not used at the same place, and they are
already not the same (there are more URLs in one version than the
other) and are likely to further diverge in the future. One is used for
the cover page of booklets (where we have quite a bit of space), the
other one is used in the footer of poster maps (where the space is
smaller).

Regards,

Thomas
--