masterlibre-list

Re: [Masterlibre-list] Course notes

From: Roberto Di Cosmo
Subject: Re: [Masterlibre-list] Course notes
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:57:34 +0200

Dear Maureen,
     thank you for the valuable information...

I have also been confronted with the creation out of nothing of
a Master course on Free Software this year, and it was quite
difficult to find a good balance between technology, law, and
economics. Jesus' course notes were inspiring, of course, but
I wanted to take advantage of local knowledge (after all, France
is at the top in the FLOSS study :-))

We ended up with a very interesting experiment: the 72 students
participating in the course have provided an extensive analysis of
the (in)compatibilities of 10 widely used free software licences,
from a computer scientist's point of view (that is, we look at the
technical impact of the legal clauses, which is rarely done).

All this will still require a few month to be properly assessed,
and, unfortunately, it is in french
(see http://www.dicosmo.org/CourseNotes/LogicielLibre/),
but it gave me a solid feeling of what is needed in such courses.

It is a pity that I will miss (again) the opportunity to see all
of you and learn from your experiences in the near future
(not even at Genoa, where I will probably not be able to come
despite being the city where I grew up), but the university
reform is absorbing all my energy.

Let's hope next year I'll have the priviledge to see you all

All the best

--Roberto Di Cosmo

Professeur
PPS                      E-mail: address@hidden
Universite Paris VII     WWW  : http://www.dicosmo.org
Case 7014                Tel  : ++33-(0)1-44 27 86 55
2, place Jussieu         Fax  : ++33-(0)1-44 27 68 49
F-75251 Paris Cedex 05
FRANCE.
Attachments:
   MIME accepted