Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] what belongs in mingw-cross-env/usr/i686-pc-m

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] what belongs in mingw-cross-env/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/bin?
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:49:28 +0100

Mark Brand <address@hidden> schrieb:
> I am thinking of *applications* that invoke
> command line tools. Think of a simple application (script, batch file,
> or exe) that must run a query and process its results. It could spawn
> tsql.exe to do this. Tsql.exe can regarded as a component of the
> application and it's convenient to be able to distribute it.
[...]
> I have been making a general argument for relaxing the general
> prohibition against building or keeping  EXE files.

Okay, I see your point. And I fully agree regarding tsql.exe
(and also psql.exe, for that matter). Are there any other
command line tools of that kind? It would be great if you
could assemble a list of them, and maybe provide a patch
which makes those EXE files built and installed by the
corresponding src/*.mk scripts.

> Should mention that the "plugin" DLLs for Qt and nsis have their own
> well-established directories, which makes them exceptions.  These are
> the exceptions I know about.

Well, I don't really think these are exceptions. I think they
are the natural consequence if we reformulate our policy. The
new policy should _not_ be:

    "Put all EXE/DLL into usr/<target>/bin."

It should be:

    "Trust the package authors."

;-)

Greets,