Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gSoap on FreeBSD and OSX

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gSoap on FreeBSD and OSX
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 18:16:36 +0100

Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> For the sake of discussion, where do we draw the line on what's a
> requirement? The current list is reasonable on any system; but you'd
> probably expect autotools and the like to be on any development
> system, and not a burden to install if not. On the other hand, fewer
> requirements leads to greater stability, and we could build native
> autotools, scons (including python), cmake etc. to make a more
> self-contained environment.

This is really a good point. In case we'd include autoconf/flex/bison
it might really be a good idea to include them via source.

For Scons there's the problem that we'd need to build a whole
bunch of native tools, namely a complete Python environment.
That's why we have to delegate this issue to the surrounding
build system.

On the other hand, delegating dependencies to the build system
is also a sensible thing for CMake, so it might also be good
for flex/bison (in case we ever will require them).

This is really a topic I'll have to think about, and there's
currently no final decision.

At the moment I think that we should "outsource" as many native
build tools as possible.

Greets,

    Volker

--