Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] update: Qt 4.7.0 RC1

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] update: Qt 4.7.0 RC1
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 06:36:13 +1000

On 12 September 2010 05:09, Mark Brand <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 09/11/2010 07:34 PM, Tony Theodore wrote:
>>
>> FreeBSD and OSX seem to have a problem with MAKEFLAGS being set. Tens
>> or hundreds of g++ processes are created and they eventually end up
>> with strange errors.
>
> I wish I understood why MAKEFLAGS="-j '$(JOBS)'" caused  problems on those
> platforms. Do you know?

No idea really. I'd be guessing that it's an obscure detail in the way
that 'qmake' calls 'fork'. The initial errors on OSX were along the
lines of:

make[2]: g++: Resource temporarily unavailable
/usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin10/4.0.1/as: can't fork a new
process to execute

Searching on those returned a lot of 'old' results. Previous versions
of OSX had a fairly low number of maximum processes per user. I
started fiddling with this, but that's when I noticed that hundreds of
cc1plus processes were being created....

I'll leave that in for the train of thought.

I just tried something that is working on OSX, I suspect FreeBSD will
be the same (I'm running it in a vm and it takes 145 mins to run).

-        MAKEFLAGS="-j '$(JOBS)'" \
+        MAKEFLAGS="-j $(JOBS)" \

It looks like the ' surrounding a number is the problem.

Cheers,

Tony