Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] update: Qt 4.7.0 RC1

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] update: Qt 4.7.0 RC1
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 22:59:38 +0200

FreeBSD and OSX seem to have a problem with MAKEFLAGS being set. Tens
or hundreds of g++ processes are created and they eventually end up
with strange errors.
I wish I understood why MAKEFLAGS="-j '$(JOBS)'" caused  problems on those
platforms. Do you know?
No idea really. I'd be guessing that it's an obscure detail in the way
that 'qmake' calls 'fork'. The initial errors on OSX were along the
lines of:

make[2]: g++: Resource temporarily unavailable
/usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin10/4.0.1/as: can't fork a new
process to execute

My guess is that make is getting plain "-j" without a value. This causes parallelism without limit.

Searching on those returned a lot of 'old' results. Previous versions
of OSX had a fairly low number of maximum processes per user. I
started fiddling with this, but that's when I noticed that hundreds of
cc1plus processes were being created....

I'll leave that in for the train of thought.

I just tried something that is working on OSX, I suspect FreeBSD will
be the same (I'm running it in a vm and it takes 145 mins to run).

-        MAKEFLAGS="-j '$(JOBS)'" \
+        MAKEFLAGS="-j $(JOBS)" \

It looks like the ' surrounding a number is the problem.

I'd like to hear what Volker's thinks about this. Is it OK to remove the single quotes?

Mark