Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Deploying Qt 5 applications on Windows

From: Paul Boddie
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Deploying Qt 5 applications on Windows
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 14:36:33 +0200

Following up to myself again...

On Wednesday 07 May 2014 17:42:52 Paul Boddie wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 May 2014 14:27:57 you wrote:
> >
> > What happens when you run the test program? You’ll find it in:
> >
> >     <path to mxe>/usr/<target>/bin/test-qt5.exe
>
> This program runs successfully under Wine, although it does crash upon exit
> with the following error:
>
> Unhandled exception: divide by zero in 32-bit code (0x00c58210).

This seems somewhat difficult to eradicate, but I think it could be a Wine
problem.

[...]

> Currently, I'm rebuilding with a highly sanitised environment, which is
>  what I should have done to start with, I guess, and I'll see if that makes
>  any difference.

Well, the problem is solved, but I don't think my environment had anything to
do with it. Instead, I saw that QTextStream usage was responsible for the
crash, and then I stumbled across this discussion:

https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues/285

Since setCodec was not being called on QTextStream instances in my code, a
null codec was apparently being used in the Qt code with rather predictable
consequences. So I've added explicit setCodec calls throughout the code to
remove this possibility.

A test deploying on Windows 7 seems to indicate that the problem is indeed
solved.

Paul