[Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE is building for Linux?

From: Gerardo Ballabio
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE is building for Linux?
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 23:32:25 +0100

Hello,
today I upgraded my MXE installation after a couple of months.

I started with a fresh source tree (downloaded the .zip archive from github) and ran "make gcc". I didn't edit the autogenerated settings.mk (all lines in that file are commented out).

With my surprise, it started building for target "i686-pc-linux-gnu" instead of "i686-w64-mingw32.static" as it had always done before, and ended with a failure in building lua, which I didn't ask to build and isn't a dependency of gcc as far as I can see. See the attached build log.

In the "usr" directory both "i686-pc-linux-gnu" and "i686-w64-mingw32.static" subdirectories were created. The latter only contains an empty "installed" directory, while "i686-pc-linux-gnu" contains several directories with files in them. "file" says the files in the "bin" directory are indeed native Linux executables (ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1).

Can you please help me find what is going wrong? Has the building procedure changed (the web page still says to just run "make")? Does MXE now require lua to be installed locally, and tries to build it if it's missing (the web page doesn't include it in the requirements list)? Or did a bad configuration somehow slip into the git tree?

Thank you
 Gerardo