Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: CVS update 20 minutes ago, Beta8+6

From: Ivo
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: CVS update 20 minutes ago, Beta8+6
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:16:17 +0200

> >> 2002/10/09: mldonkey
> >>     - add: catch SIGTERM and save the config before exiting
>
> SH> Does this mean, if I just "kill `cat $HOME/.locks/mldonkey.pid`" in my
> SH> ip-up, it will gracefully stop mldonkey (saving files.ini, etc.) so I
> SH> don't lose any downloads, etc.?
>
> I believe not.  The default kill signal is SIGKILL.
> I believe that SIGTERM is issued upon system shutdown, but I may be
> wrong (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if that is the case). :)

You shall be corrected. :) If no signal is passed to kill, it will send the
TERM signal:

NAME
       kill - terminate a process

SYNOPSIS
       kill [ -s signal | -p ]  [ -a ] pid ...
       kill -l [ signal ]

DESCRIPTION
       kill  sends the specified signal to the specified process.
       If no signal is specified, the TERM signal is  sent.   The
       TERM  signal  will  kill processes which do not catch this
       signal.  For other processes, if may be necessary  to  use
       the KILL (9) signal, since this signal cannot be caught.

Most shells have an internal kill, though, but I doubt if any of those behave
very differently. So yes, you should just be able to 'kill `pidof mldonkey`'
and mldonkey should catch it.

Ivo