Re: [Mldonkey-users] STOP LEECHING, YOUR DAMAGING OVERNET!!!

From: Pierre Etchemaite
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] STOP LEECHING, YOUR DAMAGING OVERNET!!!
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:26:22 +0100

Le Tue, 29 Oct 2002 03:37:58 +0100, "kami petersen" <address@hidden> a écrit :

>> - disable overnet support altogether (disable
>> overnet_search_keyword and overnet_search_sources, kill the core,
>> remove any overnet peer address from servers.ini, restart the core)

> and just how do you think we will get the upload right without being
> able to test and develop it?

Come on, what I'm suggesting is of course a *temporary solution*.

Overnet support will improve when mldonkey gets more time to fix it;
Also, if Overnet authors could answer his questions, I'm sure it would
help a lot to get the things right. But it's not done yet.

Right know, if you enable the download-only Overnet support, you're
not testing upload code, you're testing Overnet users' nerves.

BTW, you only quoted half of my message, the second half was about
running the current Overnet support of mldonkey 2 *and* giving back to
the Overnet network.

> if you just would consider the nature of free software development
> and sit back and relax for a couple of weeks you'll probably see
> that the overnet will be benefitting from the addition of mldonkey,
> when sharing is _properly_ implemented (trust me, you don't want too
> see premature solutions to this, that would be _really_ harming the
> network).

How boring, you should obviously sit back and relax too, I never said
mldonkey should stop developing its Overnet support.

> and don't forget that overnet in itself is still under development
> (although i believe under dubious secrecy), and far from stabile...

Right, they have enough problems like that. How to troubleshoot
performance problems if new external facts can skew your analysis ?

You ask the "right to develop", fine, but take it easy on Overnet
developers too.

BR,
Pierre.