Re: [Mldonkey-users] Ports

From: Pierre Etchemaite
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Ports
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 15:57:43 +0100

Le Thu, 31 Oct 2002 19:13:07 +0100, Steffen Solyga <address@hidden> a
écrit :

> I really hate these "i'm behind a firewall, what can i do?" HOWTOs!
> The mldonkey-FAQ isn't much better, either.

Since this is *really* becoming a FAQ, I hope it'll get added soon.

> eDonkey-Clients
> ---------------
> 1. eDonkeyClient --> eDonkeyServer    tcp     (usually 4661)
> 2. eDonkeyClient --> eDonkeyServer    udp     (usually 4665)
> 3. eDonkeyClient --> eDonkeyClient    tcp     (usually 4662)
> ==> incoming connections must be allowed for 3. __only__
add to the list:
 4. mldonkeyClient --> eDonkeyClient    udp    (usually 4666)
used for source propagation, incoming packets must be allowed.
If you're running mldonkey and you don't open that port, you receive initial
source list (send thru TCP), but not incremental updates when your
mldonkey peers discover new sources.

> Overnet-Nodes
> 1. Node --> Node                      tcp     (usually 4662)
> 2.  ?   -->  ?                                udp     (dynamic)
> What data is exchanged by udp?

On the official client, both TCP and UDP use the same port number, and the
port number is randomly choosen when you run the client for the first time.
Data transfer always use TCP, but it seems that some messages (searches for
example) can be sent either by TCP or UDP. My knowledge of the protocol
stops here, so don't take my words for granted.