Re: [Mldonkey-users] Ports

From: Pierre Etchemaite
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Ports
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 01:32:50 +0100

Le Sun, 3 Nov 2002 17:18:29 +0100, Steffen Solyga <address@hidden> a
écrit :

> >  4. mldonkeyClient --> eDonkeyClient    udp    (usually 4666)
> > used for source propagation, incoming packets must be allowed.
>
> Did you really mean mldonkeyClient --> eDonkeyClient or just
> client->client? Assuming the last...

I meant mldonkeyClient -> client ("eDonkeyClient" in a generic meaning),
since currently only mldonkey sends sources to other clients, and it sends
sources regardless of the kind of client it's talking to.

> > On the official client, both TCP and UDP use the same port number, and
> > the port number is randomly choosen when you run the client for the
> > first time.
>
> Seems to be a contradiction: same port <-> randomly choosen port.?

The TCP and the UDP ports have the same number on a given host, but each
host gets a random number. I hope it's clear that time :)

> eDonkey-Servers
> ---------------
> 1. eDonkeyClient --> eDonkeyServer  tcp  4661  adjustable
> 2. eDonkeyClient --> eDonkeyServer  udp  4665  fixed to 1.+4
> ==> incoming connections must be allowed for 1. and 2.

The docs from http://www.thedonkeynetwork.com say that port 4662 must be
open too, then this port is not mentionned when they provide firewalling
examples, I'm confused :)

> Overnet-Nodes
> 1. Node --> Node  tcp  4662  adjustable
> 2. Node --> Node  udp  4662  fixed to 1.
> ==> incoming connections must be allowed for 1. and 2.

Almost correct, but 4662 is not the default value, because there's no
default value :)