Re: [Mldonkey-users] Ports

From: Steffen Solyga
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Ports
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 17:18:29 +0100

Citing Pierre Etchemaite (Friday, 2002/11/01 15:57)...

Thanks for your informative answer.

>  4. mldonkeyClient --> eDonkeyClient    udp    (usually 4666)
> used for source propagation, incoming packets must be allowed.
> If you're running mldonkey and you don't open that port, you receive initial
> source list (send thru TCP), but not incremental updates when your
> mldonkey peers discover new sources.

Did you really mean mldonkeyClient --> eDonkeyClient or just
client->client? Assuming the last...

> On the official client, both TCP and UDP use the same port number, and the
> port number is randomly choosen when you run the client for the first time.

Seems to be a contradiction: same port <-> randomly choosen port.?

> Data transfer always use TCP, but it seems that some messages (searches for
> example) can be sent either by TCP or UDP. My knowledge of the protocol
> stops here, so don't take my words for granted.

Okay, so the update should look like this:

eDonkey-Clients
---------------
1. eDonkeyClient --> eDonkeyServer  tcp  4661  adjustable
2. eDonkeyClient --> eDonkeyServer  udp  4665  fixed to 1.+4
3. eDonkeyClient --> eDonkeyClient  tcp  4662  adjustable
4. eDonkeyClient --> eDonkeyClient  udp  4666  fixed to 3.+4
==> incoming connections must be allowed for 3. and 4.

eDonkey-Servers
1. eDonkeyClient --> eDonkeyServer  tcp  4661  adjustable
2. eDonkeyClient --> eDonkeyServer  udp  4665  fixed to 1.+4
==> incoming connections must be allowed for 1. and 2.

Overnet-Nodes
1. Node --> Node  tcp  4662  adjustable
2. Node --> Node  udp  4662  fixed to 1.
==> incoming connections must be allowed for 1. and 2.

Steffen