Re: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey and online gaming

From: Taros666
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey and online gaming
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 12:36:56 +0100

Conrad Emde wrote:
Hi,
is anyone on this list, who's playin online games while running mldonkey. I'm asking because i wanted to play the unreal tournament demo and got some hangs (short but significant). By turning mldonkey off, they disappear. I'm already using the wshaper script mentioned somewhat earlier on this list, which improved pinging google.de times from 1000 and above to 200-300. But maybe there's more to tweak. let me know, what you think.
If you use wshaper to get better pings, that will not lead to overall better TCP/IP performance (well, it does...sometimes). You have to manually priorize the ports that are used by your online game.
Why does everyone think good ping=good TCP/IP transfer? A ping uses ICMP
and if you favour the ICMP-packets, you get wonderful pings and that doesn't help you for any other TCP/IP packet! The other thing is to give mldonkey very little priority...that will lead to better overall performance and to drop mldonkey-packets if they can't be sent...
You can't have both: good mldonkey DL AND good overall TCP/IP performance.

Taros666

P.S. any TCP/IP Guru, feel free to flame and correct me...