[Mldonkey-users] [OT] Re: je ne comprend rien...

From: Pierre Etchemaite
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] [OT] Re: je ne comprend rien...
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:17:52 +0100

Le Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:38:56 +0100, MrOrange <address@hidden> a écrit :

(sorry for being off-topic. Hopefully that will be my only message in that
thread;) )

> Nothing. This ain't an individual problem. It's just that most
> languages accept something sounding similar to "download" or
> "computer" - just in france there are ordinateurs and people
> telecharger their stuff.

"most languages"... Do you have statistics about that ?

Talking about french words in the computer field, I'm more upset when the
"Académie Française" expects us to translate CDROM with "cédérom" (which is
just a phonetic translation of the former, but has otherwise no meaning or
roots !).
"télécharger" or "ordinateur", that I've used for over 20 years now, are not
so bad compared to this monstruosity.

Ain't that interesting that english insists on calculus ("computers") while
french insist on sorting and classification ("ordinateur") ? While they're
different, I think both are correct.