Re: [Mldonkey-users] Running multiple instances

From: Ken Bradshaw
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Running multiple instances
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 19:51:17 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
is it possible to run multiple instances of mldonkey (in different
directories) on the same machine, configuring each to use different ports?
We are 4 people living together and want to run mldonkey 4 times on our
Debian router/firewall. One instance for each one of us.

It works quite well, in theory.

In practice, mldonkey has problems limiting its upload so you may run into problems if you are on an ADSL with only 128 kbit upload, giving ~ 3 kbytes/s per people for 4 people. You will have to invest in bandwidth management or discipline yourselves to keep a low number of downloaded files at the same time. It works nicely with emule, with mods limiting automatically the upload depending on the ping. If you go over ~ 13.5 kbytes/s uplaod, your ADSL link will choke and downloads will stall.

What works better is to all share the same mldonkey running on the server. I known 3 people using it this way (3 flats sharing one ADSL connection).