preparing for release? - example correction

From: Martin Pala
Subject: preparing for release? - example correction
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 19:12:03 +0100

Martin Pala wrote:

Hi,

i have one question - there's lot of new functionality added to monit and its long time since we released 3.0. Maybe it will be usefull to release new version in few weeks, so i will concentrate to finalize it and will not work on new features (for example ldap, snmp, probably disk usage, etc.) until present functionality will be ready/cleaned.

There are following issues yet:

1.) dependency stuff
2.) persistent 'process->do_validate' flag (to keep monitoring state after configuration reload)

I'm working now on dependecy stuff and i have maybe one wish - what about to use 'depend' statement to declare "master" process, instead of present "slave" processes?

For example if we want to have apache dependant on running mysql, we use with present syntax following configuration:

-------8<--------
check apache with pidfile /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid

check sybase with pidfile /var/run/sybase.pid
 depend apache
-------8<--------

what about:

-------8<--------
check apache with pidfile /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid
 depend sybase

check sybase with pidfile /var/run/sybase.pid
 depend apache

I'm sorry there's the right form i wanted to ask about:

check apache with pidfile /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid
depend sybase

check sybase with pidfile /var/run/sybase.pid

It declares dependency of apache on database using same statement but with other meaning. It makes me sence to use it as outlined above, but it is possible that you have other point of view :) I want finalize the code with present syntax, but there is possibility to change it.

Martin