Re: depend take 2

From: Rory Toma
Subject: Re: depend take 2
Date: 19 Dec 2002 13:55:17 -0800

It can matter. In the case of a client-server process relationship, a
poorly written client can dump all kinds of invalid requests once the
dead server comes back up.

I'll test this on my killer config once our source control person can
check in the new drop.

In the meantime, I'll check the multiple depend case like I have below:
i.e. several processes depend on one process, but do not depend on each
other.

# Monit control file
#
set daemon  30
set logfile syslog
set init
set httpd port 1400
allow localhost
allow localhost.localdomain
#
check postmaster with pidfile /var/run/postmaster.pid
start program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start"
stop  program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql stop"
port  3306 type tcp
depend mr_server

check mr_server with pidfile /var/run/mr_server.pid
start program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/mr_server start"
stop  program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/mr_server stop"
port  9109 type tcp
depend llsched
depend rippie

check rippie with pidfile /var/run/rippie.pid
start program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/rippie start"
stop  program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/rippie stop"
port  9049 type tcp

check llsched with pidfile /var/run/llsched.pid
start program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/llsched start"
stop  program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/llsched stop"
port  9051 type tcp
depend dvrrecordmanager

check dvrrecordmanager with pidfile /var/run/dvrrecordmanager.pid
start program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/dvrrecordmanager start"
stop  program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/dvrrecordmanager stop"
port  9050 type tcp
depend cs

check cs with pidfile /var/run/cs_hw0.pid
start program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/flash start"
stop  program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/flash stop"
port  9052 with type tcp

check syslog-ng with pidfile /var/run/syslog-ng.pid
start program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog start"
stop  program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog stop"

check dhcpd with pidfile /var/run/dhcpd.pid
start program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcpd start"
stop  program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcpd stop"

check crond with pidfile /var/run/crond.pid
start program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/crond start"
stop  program = "/etc/rc.d/init.d/crond stop"

--
Rory Toma               address@hidden
VP of Run Level 5       http://www.trs80.net