Re: Some stuff....

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: Some stuff....
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 23:08:55 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 address@hidden wrote:

> I have one additional feature I'd like to see. I'll describe the situation
> I'm trying to solve and we can come up with a solution.
> Whilst testing monit, I ran "monit stop sshd". My connection went sway
> before I could run "monit start sshd". Fortunately for me, this machine
> was local...

Weird... if I stop my sshd just the master server is stopped but the
connection remains.  All "connection servers" are given to init.  You have
to kill just the master sshd with SIGTERM.  Then it does work... I have
tried it on Linux and I think I did it several times on Solaris, too.

> It would be nice to have a flag saying to restart something, even if
> do_validate is false, after a certain period of inactivity. Perhaps even a
> mode where we do "monit test", so that monit would reset the flags after a
> given period.

Mmmh... the problem is how should monit know that you are cutting your own
rope?  What if the user intended to stop that certain service and suddenly
it starts again?

Christian

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113