Re: Config reread issues...

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Config reread issues...
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:59:03 +0100

Christian Hopp wrote:

Moin!

Whenever monit's config changes it reloads it automatically.

-> It should be possible to forbid monit to that automatically, e.g.

       set configreload = [yes|no|manual]

It's not my cup of tea, but it probably could be useful (especialy if you want to test configfile before as you described later)

-> If configreload == manual it should be possible to use something
  like "monit reload" to reload the config.

It is possible to use SIGHUP for configuration reload - probably we can stay with it

If the new config is buggy and monit is reloading it, monit dies
quite silent (just a syslog entry... no mail!).

-> a) Save the old state before reloading, if it false use the old
     one, if successful the new one.

       How about this... in case of a config change doNOT reload the
       config.  Instead we fork an instance.  This instance loads the
       config.  The original monit "wait"s of the "new" one.
       Depending on the exit value of the child the parsing is
       successful or not.  (Just an idea)

It sounds elegant, but it could be problem in the case that you want to keep state of some variables, which will be needed for proper function under cluster. In the case of new instance it will be probably better to use some sort of configuration cache (XML file?) - as described few times in the past, it will be usefull for third-configuration-sources as well (for example if you'll lost database conectivity)

     or

       We have to divide the configuration phase in checking and
       it is syntactically correct.

+1 for it

  b) A global email address for monit problems with are not connected
     to any service -> could be default for all services which do not
     state e.g. "alert none".  This global email could be saved and a
     mail could be sent before quiting.

+1

Just some thoughts... which are IMHO very important.  In case the
config might get corrupted by whatever (esp. by the admin) we should
make sure that monit runs on well.

Christian