Re: [monit-dev] feature

From: rory
Subject: Re: [monit-dev] feature
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:42:04 -0700

rory wrote:
In our situation, we have our software on an nfs-repository. My monit startup scripts are dynamically generated via a config file that maps services to hostnames. Thus my "upgrade" doesn't deal with copying binaries, rather it just has to manage the symlinks in my /etc/rc.d/init.d space. I already have all the tools to do this, I just want a consistent entry point.

m|monit already has the necessary machinery to extend it to be very useful in this case. For my test environments, which I actually run and develop on, I've exceeded my screen size to window number ratio. I can no longer have a window for each machine I have to personally manage fit on one desktop and be readable/useful. Thus, it's time to implement a solution which no longer requires me to be logged into the machines. 8-)

From a security standpoint, if you don't have the directive, it wouldn't be enabled. 8-)

Or, would it be better to implement this wholly inside of m|monit, and have m|monit issue "ssh -e" commands to the host to manage the updates?