Re: Plans for the next release

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Plans for the next release
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 09:56:35 +0200

Rory Toma wrote:

I use the http interface as a command channel, and will have apps write
w/o a browser directly (over the VPN) to start/stop stuff. I do not want
stuff visible from a browser.

Maybe it could be useful to allow define output format from cervlet (for example plain/xml/html/...) in variable:

"GET /apache?action=start&output=plain HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n"

It can allow to have central monitoring station (or more such stations), that will watch services on the network and in the case of failure it can mangle the service via monit httpd. The output format could be useful for implementing the central engine (script like or with HTML interface - XML could be used when there is need to use monit with some kind of provisioning system, DB, etc. or just when you need other output formats).

Maybe it wouldn't be necesary - in the case that we will have possibility to configure daemons from external sources (like LDAP), the daemons that will run in any case on all monitored hosts can receive commands throuhg command "queue" or attribute on LDAP server (similar to SNMP write). Central monitoring station then can write to LDAP to restart service, etc.

Martin