monotone-debian

[Monotone-debian] Debian Package Format

From: Francis Russell
Subject: [Monotone-debian] Debian Package Format
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:54:49 +0100

Firstly, I thought I'd mention that I filed an Ubuntu sync request so
monotone-viz 1.0.2-2 is now in Maverick. Currently, monotone 0.47-2 is
also in there. I didn't bother to file a sync request for that as I
really don't feel like forcing the current changelog editor on more people.

Ludovic, do you mind pushing the last monotone commit and tag?

Anyway, I was wondering what people's thought's were on the Debian "3.0
(quilt)" package format that a number of packages seem to have already
upgraded to (http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/DebSrc3.0).

What slightly concerns me is that the default state for the source is
the patched state and the quilt logic is supposed to be removed. If we
take a pristine monotone source, copy in the debian folder and run
'dpkg-buildpackage -S', the resulting source package *will* have patches
applied. Run 'dpkg-buildpackage -b', and the patches won't be applied
during the build. Instead, the binary target assumes that the source is
already in the patched state. Hence, I'm worried that someone might
accidentally produce a Debian upload that has a correct source package,
but an incorrect locally built binary package. All the other binary
packages automatically built from the source package by Debian would be
fine.

Sorry if that last paragraph is confusing,

Francis