monotone-debian

Re: [Monotone-debian] Debian Package Format

From: Ludovic Brenta
Subject: Re: [Monotone-debian] Debian Package Format
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 23:10:40 +0200

Francis Russell writes:
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>
>> I too prefer to stick with the 1.0 format; 3.0 (quilt) interferes with
>> my normal workflow of checking out a branch that contains the "debian"
>> subdirectory.
>
> Yes, I do feel like "3.0 (quilt)" tries to advance the patch and upload
> workflow at the cost of increased work for packaging new upstream
> releases. One compromise would be to adopt the 3.0 format, but keep the
> quilt patching logic. I note the Debian URL says the patching logic
> "should" be removed, but I think we understand why they say that and why
> we know it's a bad idea.
>
> Note, I did update monotone-viz to use the 3.0 format but keeping the
> quilt logic but reverted it because I was worried about dpkg versions.
> However, I'm now convinced that the build machines are up to date enough
> to not have issues due to dpkg-applied patching and quilt-applied patching.

I would prefer we stick to format version 1.0.  The 3.0 (quilt) format
does not bring any benefit for us, and costs us extra work every time we
build manually as debian/rules will no longer apply the patches for us.
What we should do is make it explicit that we use format 1.0.

(Note that the Ubuntu kernel team reached this conclusion, too:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2010-August/012006.html )

--
Ludovic Brenta.