monotone-debian

Re: [Monotone-debian] Debian Package Format

From: Francis Russell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-debian] Debian Package Format
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 21:38:06 +0100

Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> I too prefer to stick with the 1.0 format; 3.0 (quilt) interferes with
> my normal workflow of checking out a branch that contains the "debian"
> subdirectory.

Yes, I do feel like "3.0 (quilt)" tries to advance the patch and upload
workflow at the cost of increased work for packaging new upstream
releases. One compromise would be to adopt the 3.0 format, but keep the
quilt patching logic. I note the Debian URL says the patching logic
"should" be removed, but I think we understand why they say that and why
we know it's a bad idea.

Note, I did update monotone-viz to use the 3.0 format but keeping the
quilt logic but reverted it because I was worried about dpkg versions.
However, I'm now convinced that the build machines are up to date enough
to not have issues due to dpkg-applied patching and quilt-applied patching.

Francis