monotone-debian

Re: [Monotone-debian] Is there more we need to package?

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-debian] Is there more we need to package?
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:24:34 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:23:45 +0100, Ludovic Brenta
<address@hidden> said:

ludovic> Richard Levitte writes:
ludovic> > About usher, my thoughts is to package it alone, and to have a second
ludovic> > package, let's say we'd call it monotone-server-usher, that could be
ludovic> > set up to serve a number of databases...  I guess
ludovic> > monotone-server-usher would naturally conflict with
monotone-server...
ludovic>
ludovic> I think this would be a great idea but it is unfortunately
ludovic> too late to have a new package in Squeeze.

Yup.  For now, my packaging consists of doing the necessary changes
and committing that to the proper branches in monotone.ca/debian-mtn.

ludovic> So, I think you should package usher for experimental
ludovic> together with monotone 0.99.1.

Mm, ok.  I'll do the uploading within the weekend, then.

ludovic> Also, please pay particular attention to the combined
ludovic> configuration of usher and monotone.  Ideally it should work
ludovic> out of the box with a reasonable default; failing that a
ludovic> couple of debconf questions might be necessary.

I agree.  However, for now, I starting with the program itself.

ludovic> I suggest you use branch org.debian.monotone-server-usher.

Hmmm, maybe?  Or not.  After all, usher is also a program in its own
right that any user should be able to run in his/her own without
having to be root.  Just like monotone.  So I'm thinking that when I'm
done, debian/control will produce two packages; usher and
monotone-server-usher.  Therefore, it seems more logical to call the
branch org.debian.usher, just like we currently have the branch
org.debian.monotone (and not org.debian.monotone-server).

ludovic> After usher, it might be a good idea to consider a more
ludovic> complete solution that wraps monotone in a nice web front-end
ludovic> such as trac or indefero.

That would be another package, trac-plugin-monotone-usher or something
like that?  Indefero doesn't currently exist as Debian package, so
I'll ignore that...  I've also been thinking of integrating monotone
in redmine, which does exist as a Debian package...

but that will be in the future, one step at a time ;-)

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/