monotone-debian

[Monotone-debian] Moving on...

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: [Monotone-debian] Moving on...
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:21:10 +0100 (CET)

Hey, I'm having a look at the debian packages for monotone and usher,
and I've started thinking that there's a need to split up
monotone-server into two packages, one that holds the database and one
that's just the server startup (new names could be monotone-common and
monotone-server-monotone).  The goal is to have usher being able to
handle the older structure along with all other projects, so both
monotone-server-monotone and (for example) monotone-server-usher would
depend on monotone-common while conflicting with each other.

So....  what I'm thinking of doing with now is to start a branch where
I start experimenting with this, say org.debian.monotone.new-server or
something like that.

I was going to ask you how one splits up a package in two others, but
it looks like 7.6 in
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html
has some (enough?) information on this...

Anyway, please tell me what you think of this.

Also, what is our policy on tagging the revisions on
org.debian.monotone?  Is that only to be done when things have been
accepted, or is it to be done when we think we have something working?
If it's the latter, I'm thinking we could tag debian-monotone-0.99.1-1
(after making the last change in changelog, of course, as it's
currently marked UNRELEASED ;-)), unless there are other things that
need to be cleared.

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/