Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: stmp problems

From: Magnus Therning
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: stmp problems
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 23:53:29 +0100

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:28:40AM -0500, graydon hoare wrote:
>Magnus Therning wrote:
>>I am having problems with the smtp posting. First time everything works
>>just fine, but the second time it doesn't. After an amazing dump of SQL
>>statements it all ends with:
>>
>>*** Error: std::runtime_error: sqlite exec error no such table:
>>reverse_queue
>>**** error return code 205
>>
>>Known problem?
>
>not exactly known, no. the reverse_queue is a temporary table built for
>constructing the correct order of outgoing packets. I thought, though,
>that its lifecycle was reasonably well controlled. perhaps it is only
>created when it is populated, or something equally odd. could you
>perhaps send me the amazing dump of SQL?

It is reproducable (don't know if that's good or bad :-), simply put two
(one is too few, haven't tried three or more) email targets in the table
returned from get_post_targets. Then commit some changes, post the
changes, then commit some new changes. Changing things back to using
only one post-target makes the commit go through again.

The amazing dump comes in a separate email, staight to you, I think
people will appreciate not having to wade through SQL statements on this
list :-)

There are some other problems with the smtp posting as well:

 - I am not sure that assuming that the domain of the email address has
   an accessible server is a good thing:
   1. At work it sure doesn't work since the network is behind a
      firewall, no outgoing connections on port 25. It is even more sick
      since I can't even use what is returned in the MXs for sending
      emails, only authorized hosts are allowed to use them directly,
      what I need it to use a dedicated smtp server (one might argue
      that our network is badly set up, but firstly, Lotus Notes is the
      standard, so I am not sure there is _any_ good setup possible at
      all; secondly, I will not be able to convince the administrators
      to change things).
   2. Many mailservers don't allow arbitrary hosts to connect to them
      and send email due to relay restrictions (my own email address has
      that problem (therning.org)).

 - In case 2 above the code for posting smtp_blobs will simply retry
   until the end of time :(

 - get_connect_addr() is a swiss army knife to solve problems. The
   problems mentioned above aren't covered in the manual, but they
   should be, and I think get_connect_addr() is the only way to solve
   them as it is right now.

/M

address@hidden
http://magnus.therning.org/

I've imagined doing software backwards -- and it almost works. Backwards
1.0 has a ton of great features. With each release it has fewer features,
until, one day, it's down to its core, the bare few features that make it a
killer app.
     -- Brent Simmons