[Monotone-devel] Re: monotone ls unknown

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone ls unknown
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:11:16 -0500

Peter Simons wrote:

Not that I'd need cascaded definitions! Just wondered how
monotone handles this.

"overrides", for rcfiles, means "is read into the lua interpreter after". since function "definitions" in lua are just syntactic sugar for assigning a lambda form to a global variable, later hook definitions replace earlier ones, imperatively, as do later variables. there is no cascading at the moment.

I've considered trying to specify some sort of hook-list convention, the way elisp often does, but haven't bothered since so far it hasn't seemed necessary. if you want to come up with some compelling use-cases, I'd be willing to listen :)

a caveat to all this is that explicit command-line arguments (and things read from MT/options -- essentially persistent command-line args) often set a variable inside monotone, and thus may cause monotone to bypass calling a hook altogether. if you find places where this behaves counter-intuitively, please let me know.

One more nit, though: I'd call the local rc file
"MT/monotonerc", without the dot, because that feels more
consistent with MT/options and MT/manifest to me.

ok, changed.

-graydon